Sunday, December 12, 2010

Best of 2010

I posted this "best of" list at No Tell Hotel's blog. I was thinking minimally at the time. Here are a few more I could have / should have also added to the list:

A Cloud of Witness, by Jason Stumpf
--excellent prose poems with a tight rhythmic backbone

Transcendental Studies, by Keith Waldrop
--the complete trilogy by the master of collage

The Cloud Corporation, by Timothy Donnelly
--this book is super hot shit right now, so my natural inclination is to try to be different & say, nah, it's not all that, but I'm really not different, I'm like everyone else, and man, it is all that

No, No Scary by Zachery Schomburg
--a fantastic follow up to The Man Suit, which was itself scary good

The Waste Land and Other Poems, by John Beer
--anyone crazy enough to use this title must be formidable. These talky, sharp poems take me back to sweet home Chicago

The French Exit, by Elisa Gabbert
--Gabbert's deft two-line stanzas are equal parts charm and dazzle as they swerve through observations, thought patterns, and reflections

Reveilles, by Nathan Hoks
--this guy's kind of narcissistic, but the poems aren't bad

I'm sure there's a lot of other good stuff I should add, but I'm still catching up with the best of 1983, so hey, 11 new titles is pretty good.