So I raced this morning. It was a points race rather than a straight crit, which means the winner isn't necessarily who comes in first at the end, but who accumulates the most points. You accumulate a point for each lap you win, & extra points on particular bonus laps. I managed to garner a whopping 2 points, but with a large field (35-40 riders?) that was enough for a tie for 3rd place. I won one lap outright & can't remember if I got the other point winning another lap or placing 3rd on a bonus lap (maybe the last?). Anyhow, this was a tough race because every lap was contested. It was also warm & sunny. I was nearly bonked after about 10 laps, so I decided to shut it down to try to recoup for the final sprint (where I could possibly win 3 points). I actually dropped to the very back of the pack for a lap & could barely hold on. I fought & fought & finally managed to sit on a wheel for a while, then worked my way back up to the front of the pack. I was in pretty good position for the final sprint & was in a 5-6 man sprint at the very end. I may have placed 3rd there, which would be where I got my 2nd point, but it was very close and I didn't bother to check with the official afterward. I guess I was kind of out of it.I was totally zapped at the end of this race & was a little disappointed by my conditioning, but still had an absolutely great time & that's all that matters. The best part was, Nikki, Teddy & my mom came to watch.
Now I'm in the middle of a severe allergy attack. I've been coughing & blowing my schnoz like crazy.

No comments:
Post a Comment